Version 3.1 Updated 09/08/2018
This privacy notice is a public declaration of how Know Your Candidate Ltd applies the Data Protection Principles & Rights afforded to individuals by the GDPR, to the personal data that we process.
Know Your Candidate Ltd (“Know Your Candidate”) is committed to complying with the 6 principles relating to the processing of personal data under the GDPR in all that we do. These principles are:
1. Lawfulness, fairness & transparency
2. Purpose limitation
3. Data minimisation
5. Storage limitation
6. Integrity and confidentiality
1. What information do we collect and who is collecting it?
We may collect, store and use the following kinds of personal information:
Information about your computer and about your visits to and use of this website (including [your IP address, geographical location, browser type and version, operating system, referral source, length of visit, page views, website navigation;
Information relating to any transactions carried out between you and us on or in relation to this website, including information relating to any purchases you make of our goods or services;
Information that you provide to us for the purpose of carrying out employment screening and related services with us including but not limited to; name, address, email address, contact numbers, financial and criminal information, identity and eligibility to work, employment, education, directorships and sanctions data. Information gathered is strictly related to the level of employment screening an individual is assigned. This information may be collected through an internet based application form or via a paper application form. No unnecessary information is obtained from a subject data which is not specifically required for the purpose of their employment screening.
Information that you provide to us for the purpose of subscribing to our website services, email notifications and/or newsletters;
Any other information that you choose to send to us.
Data is being collected by Know Your Candidate Ltd, registered address: 1st Floor, 1 City Approach, Eccles, Manchester, M30 0BG. Registered in England No. 6782627.
Know Your Candidate Ltd is registered with the Information Commissioner’s Office: Z1860832.
Know Your Candidate’s Data Protection Officer can be contacted by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by post at 1st Floor, 1 City Approach, Eccles, Manchester, M30 0BG
2. Using your personal information
Personal information submitted to us via this website will be used for the purposes specified in this privacy statement or in relevant parts of the website and Know Your Candidate’s proprietary systems.
We may use your personal information to:
- Process the appropriate employment screening background checks for data subject based on their appointed levels.
- Where an Employee Credit Check is specified as part of the screening process data will be shared with the credit bureau. The credit bureau Know Your Candidate works with is TransUnion (formerly Callcredit) and their privacy notice can be found at: https://www.callcredit.co.uk/legal-information/bureau-privacy-notice
- Report the results of the background checks carried out to the data subject’s current employer or prospective employer or organisations acting on their behalf in line with our contractual obligations and agreed risk frameworks.
- Administer the website;
- Improve your browsing experience by personalising the website;
- Enable your use of the services available on the website;
- Send statements and invoices to you, and collect payments from you;
- Send you general (non-marketing) commercial communications;
- Send you email notifications which you have specifically requested;
- Send to you our newsletter and other marketing communications relating to our business [or the businesses of carefully-selected third parties] which we think may be of interest to you by post or, where you have specifically agreed to this, by email or similar technology (you can inform us at any time if you no longer require marketing communications);
- Deal with enquiries and complaints made by or about you relating to the website; and where you submit personal information for publication on our website, we will publish and otherwise use that information in accordance with the license you grant to us.
- We will not without your express consent provide your personal information to any third parties for the purpose of direct marketing.
3. Legal basis for processing information
Know Your Candidate is required to process personal information of data subjects as part of its client contractual obligations in the performance of conducting employment screening on behalf of its client(s). Employment screening is typically carried out as a result of regulatory or legal obligations for the client or as part of a best practice risk mitigation process and policy. All processing of personal data by Know Your Candidate is carried out with the full and explicit consent of each data subject.
We may disclose information about you to any of our employees, officers, suppliers insofar as reasonably necessary to fulfil our obligations for the purposes as set out in this privacy statement.
In addition, we may disclose your personal information:
- To the extent that we are required to do so by law;
- In connection with any legal proceedings or prospective legal proceedings;
- In order to establish, exercise or defend our legal rights (including providing information to others for the purposes of fraud prevention and reducing credit risk);
- To the purchaser (or prospective purchaser) of any business or asset which we are (or are contemplating) selling; and
- To any person who we reasonably believe may apply to a court or other competent authority for disclosure of that personal information where, in our reasonable opinion, such court or authority would be reasonably likely to order disclosure of that personal information.
Except as provided in this privacy statement, we will not provide your information to third parties.
5. International Data Transfers
All personal data stored and processed by Know Your Candidate is securely hosted within the European Union (EU). There is no systematic transfer of data at rest outside of the EU for any other purpose. Where you are or have at any time been resident or based for work outside the EU, the personal data that we receive from you may be transferred to, and stored at, a location outside the EU. It may also be processed by staff operating outside the EU, who work for us or one of our suppliers. By submitting your personal data, you agree to this transfer, storing and processing. If you are making an application with an organisation based overseas or their head office is based overseas then personal data may be transferred to the organisation at their specified location.
You expressly agree to such transfers of personal information.
6. Security of your personal information and retention
Know Your Candidate is a Cyber Essentials accredited business and therefore takes information security extremely seriously. Investment has been made in all of our systems to create the most secure environment possible.
We continue to take all reasonable technical and organisational precautions to prevent the loss, misuse, or alteration of your personal information.
We will store all the personal information you provide on our secure (password- and firewall- protected) servers. All electronic transactions you make to or receive from us will be encrypted.
Of course, data transmission over the internet is inherently insecure, and we cannot guarantee the security of data sent over the internet.
You are responsible for keeping your password and user details confidential. We will not ask you for your password (except when you log in to our systems).
Know Your Candidate retains your personal information for only as long as stipulated within client contracts and does not seek to retain data for any longer than necessary to carry out our service and fulfil our statutory and contractual obligations.
Know Your Candidate will never process your personal information without your explicit consent and engagement in the process. If you choose not to provide personal information or consent we will be unable to carry out our checks and therefore unable to start the employment screening process. Where clients have made employment screening conditional upon the issuance of an employment contract there may be implications for failing to complete the employment screening process. Know Your Candidate takes no liability in the failure for individuals to engage with any employment screening process on behalf of a client.
We do not store your credit or debit card details.
7. Statement Amendments
8. Your Rights
You may instruct us to provide you with any personal information we hold about you.
Upon receipt of any such requests, Know Your Candidate as the Data Processor will contact the applicable Data Controller i.e. the customer who made the screening request for instructions on how it wishes to respond to the request.
If the Data Controller chooses to handle the Subject Access Request:
- The Data Controller must inform Know Your Candidate within 5 working days.
- The Data Controller must provide the relevant contact details in order for you to make a Subject Access Request to their organisation.
- Know Your Candidate will respond to inform you this is the case and pass on the contact details provided to us.
- Know Your Candidate will then wait for an official request from the Data Controller detailing the information required.
- Know Your Candidate will then supply the information required to the Data Controller.
If the Data Controller decides Know Your Candidate will handle the Subject Access Request or does not respond within 5 days, we will manage the information request. Provision of such information will be subject to:
- A subject access request under the Data Protection Act is submitted to Know Your Candidate.
- The supply of appropriate evidence of your identity (for this purpose, we will usually accept a photocopy of your passport certified by a solicitor or bank plus an original copy of a utility bill showing your current address).
- The description of the exact information you are seeking.
- We may withhold such personal information to the extent permitted by law.
All requests will be acknowledged and responded to as quickly as possible, in conformity with applicable law.
Know Your Candidate recognises the further rights of data subjects under the GDPR which include;
- The right to be informed
- The right of access
- The right to rectification
- The right to erasure
- The right to restrict processing
- The right to data portability
- The right to object
- More information on Direct Marketing
- The right to withdraw consent
- The right to complain to the Supervisory Authority
- Rights related to automated decision making and profiling
9. Third Party Websites
Our website contains links to other websites. We are not responsible for the privacy policies or practices of third party websites.
10. Updating of information
Please let us know if the personal information which we hold about you needs to be corrected or updated.
11. Data Controller
The data controller responsible in respect of the information collected on this website is Know Your Candidate.
This policy was updated on 9th August 2018